His royal highness prince Salman bin Abdul-Aziz was born in Riyadh in 5/10/1354H corresponding to 31/12/1935.
He received his early education in the princes school in Riyadh which was established by king Abdul-Aziz – may Allah rest his soul – in 1356H to education his sons. His highness studied in it the religious and modern sciences and concluded the holy Quran in this school and celebrated for that on Sunday 12/8/1346H. This school was managed by sheikh Abdullah Khayyat – may Allah rest his soul – speaker and Imam in the holy mosque.
On Tuesday 11/7/1373H corresponding to 16/3/1654D, his highness was appointed prince of Riyadh region by delegation.
On Monday 25/8/1374H corresponding to 18/4/1955, the royal order number 5/10/2/1424 was issued to appoint him Riyadh prince at minister rank.
On Sunday 7/7/1380H corresponding to 25/12/1960D, his highness resigned from Riyadh principality and his resignation was approved by the royal order number 40 in 7/7/1380H.
On Monday 10/9/1382H corresponding to 4/2/1963, his highness was appointed as a prince of Riyadh once again as per the royal order number 46 at the same date.
The human works captures his highness concern since 1956D as he headed a number of primary and local committees and organizations to gather donations to help poor people and those harmed by floods, earthquakes, and disasters in Arab and Islamic worlds and support the Islamic world issues and advocate Muslims in any place.
On Tuesday, 11/7/1373 H corresponding to 16/3/1954 AD His Royal Highness was appointed Acting Governor of Riyadh Region.
On Monday 25/8/1374 AH corresponding to April 18, 1955, Royal Order No. 5/10/2/1424 was issued appointing His Royal Highness the Governor of Riyadh Region at the rank of minister.
On Sunday, 07.07.1380, corresponding to December 25, 1960 AD HRH resigned from the Emirate of Riyadh Region, and the approval was issued by the Royal Order No. 40 in 7/7/1380 AH.
On Monday, 10.09.1382, corresponding to February 4, 1963, His Royal Highness was appointed again as the Governor of Riyadh Region, according to the Royal Order No. 46.
On Saturday 9 Dhul-Hijjah 1432 AH corresponding to November 5, 2011 AD, Royal Order No. A / 288 was issued appointing His Royal Highness as the Minister of Defense.
On Monday, 28 August 1433, corresponding to June 18, 2012 AD, Royal Order No. A / 139 was issued selecting His Royal Highness as the Crown Prince and appointing him a Deputy Prime Minister and the Minister of Defense.
HRH Salman bin Abdul-Azizhas great interest for cultural and humanitarian work, and since 1376 AH corresponding to 1956, HRH chaired a number of associations, organizations, and main committees of charitable work inside the Kingdom and abroad, and sponsored and supported many cultural projects.
Associations and charities chaired by His Royal Highness now:
· Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Riyadh Philanthropic Society for Sciences, which Prince Sultan University and Prince Salman Oasis of Sciences are affiliated with.
· President of the Prince Salman Prize for Qur’an Memorization for boys and girls in the Kingdom.
· Founder and General Assembly President of the Prince Salman Center for Disability Research.
· Honorary President of the Prince Fahad bin Salman Charity Association for Renal Failure.
· Honorary President of the Saudi Center for Organ Transplantation.
· Honorary President of the Prince Salman Center for Kidney Disease.
· Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Prince Salman Charity Housing Project.
Cultural and social Institutions and associations chaired by His Royal Highness:
· Chairman of the King Abdulaziz Foundation.
· Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the King Fahad National Library.
· Chairman of the Board of Directors of the History Center of Makkah and Madinah.
· Chairman of the Board of Trustees of Hamad Al Jasser Institution.
· Honorary Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Prince Salman bin Abdulaziz Award for Young Entrepreneur, which is awarded on the level of the Kingdom.
· Honorary President of the Saudi Historical Association.
· Honorary President of Riyadh Schools.
Institutions and committees previously headed by His Royal Highness:
First, previously headed associations and committees which have activities and tasks at the internal level of the Kingdom:
· President of the High Commission for the development of Arriyadh.
· President of the Higher Executive Committee for the development of Ad- Dir’iya.
· Secretary General of the King Abdulaziz al Islamic Foundation.
· Honorary President of the Prince Salman Social Center.
· Honorary President of the Board of Directors of Arriyadh Development Company.
· Honorary President of the Friends of patients Committee in Riyadh.
· Honorary President of the Red Crescent Friends Committee in Riyadh.
· Founder and Chairman of the Prince Salman Center for Disability Research.
· Honorary President of the Saudi Charity Association for Genetic Diseases.
· Honorary President of the Adults Mobility Handicap Association.
· Honorary Chair of the Saudi Society of Speech – Language Pathology and Audiology.
· Honorary President of the Blind Charity Association in Riyadh.
· President of the Coordinating Council of Charity Associations working in Riyadh.
· Honorary President of the Saudi Charitable Society for Holy Quran Memorization in Riyadh.
· Honorary President of the Saudi Association for Holy Quran and its Sciences.
· Chairman of the Board of Directors of Al-Birr Association and its branches in Riyadh.
· Honorary President of the Social Responsibility Council in Riyadh.
· President of the Supreme Committee for the Endowment of King Saud University.
· Chairman of the Board of Directors of Prince Salman Charity Housing Project.
· Chairman of Orphan Care Association in Riyadh.
· President of the Bin Baz Benevolent Project for Assisting Youth to Marry.
· Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Abdulaziz bin Baz Charity Association.
· Chairman of the Riyadh Competitiveness Center, which is concerned with increasing Riyadh competitiveness and improving the administrative work level in it.
· Chairman of the Higher Committee and the Preparatory Committee for celebrating the passing of 100 years on establishing the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, which was established in the 5/10/1419
Second, previously headed associations and committees which have activities and tasks outside the Kingdom:
· Chairman of the Donation Committee for Suez Afflicted People in 1956.
· Chairman of the Primary Committee of Gathering Donations for Algeria in 1956.
· Chairman of the Public Committee for Helping Jordan Martyrs Families in 1967.
· Chairman of the Public Committee for Helping the Palestinian people.
· Chairman of the Public Committee for Helping Pakistan Afflicted People in 1973 in the wakes of the war between India and Pakistan which resulted in human losses.
· Chairman of the Public Committee for supporting the military effort in Egypt in 1973 in the wakes of the war between Egypt and Israel.
· Chairman of the Public Committee for supporting the military effort in Syria in 1973 in the wakes of the war between Syria and Israel.
· Chairman of the public association for receiving donations for the Afghan fighters in 1980.
· Chairman of the local Committee helping floods afflicted people in Sudan in 1988.
· Chairman of the Public Committee for gathering donations for the Democratic Republic of Yemen in 1989.
· Chairman of the local committee for providing aids, support and assistance to Kuwaitis After the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait in 1990.
· Chairman of the local committee for receiving donations for people afflicted from floods in Bangladesh in 1991.
· Chairman of the executive association for gathering donations for Bosnia and Herzegovina in 1992.
· Chairman of the executive association for gathering donations for people afflicted by Egypt earthquake in 1992.
· Executive Chairman of the Kingdom Fair between Yesterday and Today which was held in many Arab and European countries and in the United States and Canada during the period 1985/1992.
· Chairman of the executive Committee for gathering donations for Jerusalem uprising in Riyadh, 2000/1421.
Orders and medals received by His Royal Highness:
· His Royal Highness has King Abdulaziz Cordon from the first class, which is considered the highest order in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
· His Royal Highness obtained an order on the occasion of the passage of two thousand years since the establishment of Paris city. President Jacques Chirac awarded him the order in Paris in 1985.
· His Royal Highness obtained the intellectual efficiency order, as the King of Morocco Hassan II, awarded him the order in Casablanca in 1989.
· His Royal Highness obtained the award Handicapped Children Association in Saudi Arabia for human service in 1995.
· His Royal Highness obtained the Golden Order of Bosnia and Herzegovina for his support and efforts to liberate Bosnia and Herzegovina. The Bosnian President awarded him the order in Riyadh in March 1997.
· His Royal Highness was awarded the United Nations Shield for reducing poverty effects in the world in 1997.
· His Royal Highness obtained Jerusalem Star Order in 1998D. The Palestinian president Yasser Arafat awarded him the order in a celebration in the regimen palace in Riyadh. This order is considered an appreciation of what his highness did of exceptional actions showing the sacrifice and courage in the Palestinian people service.
· His Royal Highness obtained the Sikatuna order in 1999D which is considered the highest order in republic of Philippines. The Filipino President Joseph Estrada awarded him the order during His highness’s visit to Philippine in April for his significant contribution to the human activities, for his support of the charity associations and his efforts in raising and improving the Islamic culture concept, and for the many times in which his Royal Highness has helped the Filipino employment in the Kingdom and for his friendship with Philippines.
· His Royal Highness obtained the Grand Order which is considered the superior order in the Republic of Senegal. The Senegalese President Abdou Diouf awarded HRH the order during his highness visit to Senegal in July 1999D.
· His Royal Highness obtained the Yemen Unity Order from the second class in Safar 1422H / May 2001D. The Yemeni President Ali Abdullah Saleh awarded him the order during his Royal highness visit to Yemen – Aden.
· His highness obtained Baden-Powell Scout Fellowship by His Majesty the King of Sweden Carl Justav the Sixteenth in Safar 1429H / February 2008D.
· His Royal Highness obtained Bahrain Award for Human Work for the Gulf Cooperation Council in Safar 1429H / February 2008D.
· His Royal Highness obtained the Honorary Doctorate in Arts from Umm Al-Qura University in Mecca as an appreciation and recognition of his great role in arts in 21 Rabi-Awal 1429H corresponding to 29 March 2008D.
· in Muharram 1431H corresponding to December 2009D, His Royal Highness obtained the International Olympiad Award of the Middle East and South Africa Region which is considered its highest award and was given to him for his efforts in serving the handicapped people in the Kingdom and encouraging the scholar research in the handicap field.
· in Safar 1431H corresponding to January 2010D, His highness obtained the Bosnian Order for Islamic Grants from the first class as an appreciation for his Royal Highness efforts in Islam and Muslims advocacy in Bosnia and Herzegovina. His eminence Chief Scholar and the General Mufti in Bosnia and Herzegovina dr. Mustafa Tseretsh awarded his Royal Highness the order at his Highness office in Riyadh Principality.
· in 29 Rabi Thani 1431H corresponding to 14 April 2010D, His Royal Highness obtained an Honorary Doctorate from the Islamic University in Delhi for his human charity efforts and his commitment to support education and his uniqueness as a statesman.
· His Royal Highness obtained “Cant” medal in 19/6/1431H corresponding to 2/5/2010D during His Royal Highness formal visit to Germany. “Berlin Brandenburg Academy for Science” awarded him this medal for his contributions in the sciences field.
· in 24 Rabi-Thani 1432H corresponding to 29 March 2011D, His Royal Highness obtained an Honorary Doctorate in the Saudi Country History from the Islamic University in Madinah for His Royal Highness distinct efforts and grants in maintaining the great Saudi history and observing its different effects in various fields.
Resources : mofa.gov.sa