Born on 3 June 1980, HH Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani is the Emir of Qatar and the fourth son of HH The Father Emir, Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani and second son of Sheikha Mozah bint Nasser Al Missned. He was appointed as Qatar’s Heir Apparent on 5th August 2003. He became Emir of Qatar on 25th June 2013.
HH The Emir received his education at Great Britain’s Sherborne School (International College) in 1997. He then attended the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst, graduating in 1998. In 2005, Sheikh Tamim founded Qatar Sport Investments, which owns Paris Saint-Germain FC. among other investments. In 2006, he chaired the organising committee of the 15th Asian Games in Doha.
Under his leadership, Qatar won the rights to host the 2014 FINA Swimming World Championships. Sheikh Tamim is a member of the International Olympic Committee and the National Olympic Committee chairman. He headed Doha’s bid for the 2020 Olympics.
Sheikh Tamim heads the Qatar Investment Authority board of directors. Under his leadership, the fund has invested billions in British businesses. It owns large stakes in Barclays Bank, Sainsbury’s, and Harrods. The fund also owns a share of Europe’s tallest building, The Shard.
Sheikh Tamim previously held a number of other posts including:
• Chairman of the Supreme Council for the Environment and Natural Reserves
• Chairman of the Supreme Education Council
• Chairman of the Supreme Council of Information and Communication Technology.
• Chairman of the board of directors of Public Works Authority (Ashghal) and the Urban Planning and Development Authority (UPDA)
• Chairman of the board of regents of Qatar University
• Deputy chairman of the Ruling Family Council
• Vice president of the Supreme Council for Economic Affairs and Investment
• Deputy chairman of the High Committee for Coordination and Follow Up
On 8 January 2005, Sheikh Tamim married his second cousin Sheikha Jawahir bint Hamad bin Suhaim Al Thani, daughter of Sheikh Hamad bin Suhaim Al Thani (with whom he shares a great-grandfather, Sheikh Hamad bin Abdullah Al Thani). They have two sons and two daughters:
• Sheikha Almayassa bint Tamim Al Thani (born 2006).
• Sheikh Hamad bin Tamim Al Thani (born 2008).
• Sheikha Aisha bint Tamim Al Thani (born 2010).
• Sheikh Jassim bin Tamim Al Thani (born 2012).
Sheikh Tamim has a second wife, Sheikha Anoud bint Mana Al Hajri, whom he married on 3 March 2009. She is the daughter of Mana bin Abdul Hadi Al Hajri, sometime Qatari Ambassador to Jordan. They have two children, a daughter and a son:
• Sheikha Nayla bint Tamim Al Thani (born 2010).
• Sheikh Abdullah bin Tamim Al Thani (born 29 September 2012).
Tamim participates in competitive sport. He was filmed playing badminton and bowled with former Egyptian military chief Mohammed Hussein Tantawi. He has a strong interest in history and his nation’s heritage. He is fluent in English.
H.E Sheikh Mohammed Bin Hamad Al-Thani’s photo
Sheikh Tamem Social media’s